What is... Retail & Services Management?
This is a broadly based honours business degree with strong focus on the important retail and service sectors of the economy. The services sector is one of the most complex and dynamic sectors of our economy, driven by globalisation, information and telecommunications technology and increasingly diverse and sophisticated consumers. The retail sector, in particular, represents a fast-moving and rapidly expanding area of opportunity for business graduates where high performers achieve rapid advancement and excellent rewards. This honours degree programme is an ideal foundation for anyone considering a career in the retail or services sectors.
First year students enrolling on this programme who have obtained 500 points or more in their Leaving Certificate will be awarded a first year entrance scholarship of €1,000 in recognition of their outstanding performance in the Leaving Certificate Examination.
What are my... Career Opportunities?
This programme provides attractive career opportunities in management, marketing & IT within retail or service based organisations, or in organisations supplying these sectors. Previous graduates have been in demand by national and international retailers, financial services organisations such as banks and insurance companies, as well as by supplier organisations within the retail supply chain.
What other options do I have after completion?
Students who have reached the appropriate honours standard may have access to a wide range of Masters Degrees in DIT and elsewhere in Higher Education.
Learning Outcomes: What will I Study?
The overall aim of this programme is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the principal operational and strategic issues involved in the management of retail & services based enterprises in the context of both national and international business environments. The course seeks to enable students to acquire a comprehensive understanding of the diverse range of business specialties and disciplines affecting both operational and strategic management decisions in retail & services based enterprises.
Students will take both general business modules and specialist retail & service specific modules.
- Information Technology
- Marketing & Market Research
- Human Resource Management
- Entrepreneurial Studies & Communications
- Retail Management
- Retail Analytics
- Retail Marketing
- Geographical Information Systems
- Electronic Business
- International Retailing
- Retail Consumption
- Store Atmospherics
- Shopping Centre Management
- Category Management
- Retail Location Analysis
- Retail Buying & Negotiating
- Financial Services
- Management of Services
- Services Management Strategy
Retail Work Placement or International Study Option
Students will have the opportunity to gain valuable work experience for a six month period in a service sector business or further personal development in choosing one semester to study abroad at a European or North American University.
Are there study abroad options?
During the second semester of the third year students are offered the opportunity to study in one of the College’s partner universities in the European Union or in North America where modules are delivered in the English language.
Students take suitable modules from the courses on offer in the partner institution and sit examinations and other assessments there.
T: 01 402 7062 (Dr. Edmund O’Callaghan)
T: 01 402 7057 (School Office)
What our Students say!
- Rachel Kingston, Class of 2012. - ‘I chose the BSc in Retail and Services Management as my degree because it is a broad based honours degree which touches on every aspect of business. This specifically appealed to me as I was unsure of the specific area of business I wanted to study, when filling out my CAO. My success in work placement has by default resulted in a secured job in Lidl GmbH Ireland as a Sales Operations Manager (also known as an Area Manager) once I finish my studies in June 2012’.
- Oliver Duffy (BSc Retail & Services Management, 2011) - “This programme gives you all the tools and knowledge you need for a career in either the Retail or Services industries. Working in teams from different backgrounds, it really made the four years fly by. The course is really interesting with a good mix of assignments and exams. I would strongly recommend this programme to prospective students. Overall a great learning experience which benefited me both professionally and personally”.