What is... Bar and Beverage Management and Entrepreneurship?
The fact that the licensed industry has remained so popular is a tribute to the quality of the product. Consumers today expect an integrated social experience in a safe modern environment, which offers the latest products and services in a professional and engaging fashion. It is in this context that the BSc (Honours) Degree in Bar Management & Entrepreneurship programme enables students to develop a deeper understanding of bar and beverage management for the licensed and hospitality industries.
What are my... Career Opportunities?
This programme recognises the diversity of opportunities available to the graduate. Career opportunities include: Bar Management in pubs, restaurants and hotels, Bar Ownership, Wine and Spirits Retailing, Off-License Operations, Club Management (private and public). In addition there are opportunities for graduates in consultancy, research and postgraduate education.
What other options do I have after completion?
Students who have reached the appropriate honours standard may have access to a range of Masters Degrees in DIT and elsewhere in Higher Education. The DIT MSc in Hospitality Management may be of particular interest.
Learning Outcomes: What will I Study?
The programme acknowledges the important link between traditional, technological, social and future business requirements of the bar and beverage industries. The major individual subjects includes bar and food management, wine studies, business and marketing studies, legal and language studies, information and consumer studies, cocktail making, customer care, quality control, financial management, hygiene and safety, research methods, property asset management, business enterprise and entrepreneurship studies. These subjects are essential for preparing students for their future roles in the modern bar and beverage operation and are critical for preparing them to manage licensed trade businesses in the information age.
Options and electives assist students in exploring more fully areas of specific interest and to develop a knowledge-based practice in order to provide a competitive edge in modern enterprise. Internship studies provides students with the opportunity to experience the practicalities of a work situation in Ireland or abroad to test concepts and ideas acquired in the classroom, training bars, restaurants and college library. The collaboration with industry ensures that these locations are carefully chosen for the quality of the mentoring available rather than the size or status of the establishment.
- Bar and Beverage Operations Studies
- Culinary Science: Food Science
- Management Principles
- Languages (choice) Or non-language options
- Food & Beverage Studies
- Catering Systems & Administration
- Wine Studies
- Food Production and Presentation (Cookery)
- Cocktail Making
- Food & Beverage Service (Restaurant)
- International Beers & Draught Dispense Management
- Introduction to Marketing
- Spirits and Liqueurs
- Culinary Information Systems
- Language (choice) Or non-language options
- Information Technology
- Introduction Accounting for Hospitality Businesses
- International Legal Studies
- Bar and Beverage Management Studies
- Human Resources Management
- Advanced Cocktail Making Studies
- Food Services Management
- Consumer Behaviour & Sociology
- Financial & Cost Accounting
- Research Methods
- Hospitality Law
- Advanced Wine Studies
- International Internship (Industry Placement)
- Food Entrepreneurship
- Financial Management
- Property Management
- Strategic Human Resources Management
- Occupational Health & Safety
- Project Management & Entrepreneurship
- Managing Training & Development
- Hospitality Quality Services Management
- Alcohol Studies-Responsible Use, Sales and Service
Are there study abroad options?
Yes, for our undergraduates national and international internship (work placements) opportunities are available, and for our graduates full-time positions in the bar, hospitality and retail industries are offered through our extensive global industry partners.
What our Students say!
- This programme is ideal for anyone wishing to enter a career in the bar and hospitality industry.
- Our lecturers are genuinely interested in offering us balanced academic and industry related studies.
- Access to National and international field trips, guest lessons from some of the biggest people in the business and regular scholarships and cocktail competitions which have all helped me to craft my profession are also offered on this programme.