What is... Accounting & Finance?
This programme provides an ideal route to a career in professional accountancy and to a training contract with an accounting practice. Graduates may also pursue careers in areas such as fund management, financial services, financial analysis, corporate finance and money markets.
NOTE: Students may opt to spend year 3 studying abroad. Students who avail of this opportunity will complete their degree over a four year period and will be awarded the BSc Accounting & Finance (International) qualification.
First year students enrolling on this programme who have obtained 500 points or more in their Leaving Certificate, will be awarded a first year entrance scholarship of €2,000 in recognition of their outstanding performance in the Leaving Certificate Examination.
What are my... Career Opportunities?
This Honours Degree programme is appropriate to those who wish to pursue careers as professionally qualified accountants. It confers significant exemptions from the examinations of the professional accountancy bodies. In addition, the programme provides an ideal entry qualification for a range of careers in financial services, the money markets and banking.
What other options do I have after completion?
Students who have reached the appropriate honours standard may have access to a wide range of Masters Degrees in DIT and elsewhere in Higher Education.
Learning Outcomes: What will I Study?
This Degree programme allows students to develop a thorough understanding of the fundamentals (both technical and theoretical) of accounting and finance and provides graduates with a sound foundation for further professional studies in these fields. Students’ capacity to engage in critical analysis, apply concepts to practice, engage in independent research, contribute to team work and communicate clearly are developed through the use of a wide range of learning and teaching approaches including problem solving, case studies, projects, preparation of academic papers, group work and formal lectures with tutorial support.
In allowing students to select modules from a range of subjects in the second and third/fourth years of their studies, the programme enables students to specialise in their chosen field.
Some students may choose to focus on accountancy related modules in order to secure the generous exemptions awarded by professional accountancy bodies (including Chartered Accountants Ireland and ACCA) to graduates of this programme. Other students, who are interested in pursuing a career in finance, may opt for modules from the programme’s comprehensive range of finance, econometrics and international finance modules. Students also have the option of studying a mix of accounting and finance modules.
- Business Finance
- Communications and Professional Development
- Information Systems
- Managing the Organisation
- Quantitative Analysis
- Business Finance
- Business Law
- Financial Reporting
- Management Accounting
- Management Science
- EU Framework
- Maths for Finance & Economics
- Business Information Systems
Optional year abroad in a partner Institution
Students take two core modules:
- Corporate Finance
- Critical Analysis in Accounting & Finance
And four modules from the following list:
- Advanced Financial Reporting
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Econometrics
- Financial Institutions & Services
- International Finance & Monetary Economics
- Management Control & Decision Making
- Strategic Management
Are there study abroad options?
Students may opt to spend year 3 studying abroad in locations such as the United States, Canada, Australia or Northern Europe, through English. Students who avail of this opportunity will complete their degree over a four year period and will be awarded the BSc Accounting & Finance (International) qualification.
School of Accounting & Finance
T: 01 402 4068 (Evelyn Murphy)
What our Students say!
- The Programme content is excellent. Having a choice in second and third year is great. Exemptions from professional accountancy bodies are as good if not better than anywhere in Ireland.
- There are many facilities including medical services, counselling, career advice, etc, which are available to me should I need them. I also like that DIT is a city based college and easy accessible. I don’t feel so isolated like being in a college in the middle of nowhere.
- I love DIT, because the building, facilities, JAVA CITY, DITSU, the lecturers are all very good, and students are friendly and kind. The Programmes are interesting.
- This programme is an excellent grounding for further study both in Finance and Accounting.