Please note: If you are an existing DIT undergraduate student and wish to transfer into another DIT undergraduate programme, you will not have to complete the CAO Advanced Entry application form. All existing DIT students who wish to transfer into another DIT undergraduate programme must contact their Head of Programme directly to facilitate the transfer.
What is Advanced Entry?
Advanced Entry is where an applicant has previous work experience and/or educational achievements that are considered directly relevant to the programme they wish to apply for. In such a case, it is possible to gain entry to the second or subsequent year of an Undergraduate programme in DIT.
Are International Students eligible for Advanced Entry?
International Non-EU applicants who wish to be considered for Advanced Entry must apply directly through the International Student Office using the appropriate application form.
Please note: If you are unsure of your status, please contact the International Student Office before filling out the Advanced Application form.
What is the deadline for submitting a 2017 Advanced Entry on-line application?
Applications for most programmes is close of business on 30th June 2017. If the Institute is accepting Advanced Entry applications to a course, you can make the application by clicking the “Apply to 2nd, 3rd, 4th Year” button in the course content page. Where applications are not being accepted, this button will not be visible.
Please note, it is important to send all relevant supporting documentation, including detailed exam results and details of relevant work experience, CV, etc to the CAO where it will be added to your application form. Remember to include your application number with all correspondence.
Failure to supply CAO with supporting documentation may result in your application being rejected.
Are Advanced Entry places available in all programmes?
Advanced Entry places are available in a large number of programmes across all Colleges in DIT.
How do I make an Advanced Entry application?
Most Advanced Entry applications are now made via the CAO website.
The following programmes are available to apply for via the DIT website only:
- DT080B - Networking Applications and Services, Level 8 Honours Degree
- DT226A - Biomolecular Science, Level 8 Honours Degree
- DT406A - Tourism Management, Level 8 Honours Degree
- DT408A - Hospitality Management, Level 8 Honours Degree
- DT411H - Leisure Management - Level 8 Honours Degree
- DT8418 - Baking and Pastry Arts Management - Level 8 Honours Degree
Are late applications being accepted?
For the majority of programmes the answer is yes, although applicants must be aware that their application may not be processed as the priority goes to applicants who met the deadline.
Please note: If the "Apply Now into 2nd/3rd/4th Year" button is not visable for the programme you wish to apply for, please contact the relevant School directly to see if they will accept a late application.
How are Advanced Entry applications evaluated?
Advanced Entry applications are assessed on the basis of availability of places in the relevant programme year and merit. The following are some examples of Advanced Entry:-
- Applicants who have partially completed a third-level programme at a Higher Education Institution may be considered for Advanced Entry to a related DIT degree programme at an appropriate level.
- Applications will also be considered from applicants with extensive work experience from an area relevant to a DIT degree programme.
- HETAC higher certificate (or equivalent) with distinction/merit, will be considered for third year of a related DIT ordinary degree.
- HETAC higher certificate pass with work experience, will be considered for third year of a related DIT ordinary degree.
- HETAC ordinary degree with merit, will be considered for third year of a related honours degree at DIT.
- Applicants with FETAC Level 6 or equivalent will be considered for entry to Year 2 of a related DIT ordinary degree programme.
When are offers made?
Offers for Advanced Entry places are generally made during the Summer months - July and August. Some programmes may offer their places sooner than that. The majority of offers are made by mid-September.
Further information is available from
DIT Admissions Office
143-149 Lower Rathmines Road
Tel: +353 1 402 3302