The Wood Manufacturer and Finisher cuts, shapes and joins wood and wood based products using wood working machines, power tools and hand tools to manufacture furniture and construction components, e.g. tables, chairs, doors and stairs.
Wood Manufacturer and Finishers require many skills including:
- Working with a variety of specialised hand and power tools
- Knowledge of setting out, production and assembly of furniture and construction components
- Knowledge of a CAD/CAM (Computer Aided Design and Computer Aided Manufaturing) software for CNC (Computer Numerical Control) programming
- Performing craft calculations and selecting materials to meet design requirements
- Interpreting technical drawings and specifi cations
- Planning and organising work schedules
- Liaising with other professions and clients
- Performing routine maintenance and repairs on machines
The environment is often noisy and involves the use of equipment and machinery so due care and adherence to Health and Safety regulations is mandatory.