This module introduces the learner to the core concepts and theories of effective management essential to the operation of an enterprise in the hospitality industry.
- Introduction to Management Activity in a Hospitality Organisation: Levels of Management; Types of Managers; Functions of Management; Management Roles; Management Skills; Hospitality Experiential Activity.
- The Evolution of Management Thought: From Classical to Modern approaches in the Hospitality Industry; Hospitality Experiential Activity.
- Planning in Hospitality Organisations: The Role of Planning; Types of Planning; the Planning Process; Gantt Chart; PERT Analysis; External and Internal Analysis (SWOT); Decision Making.
- Forms of Business Organisations: Traditional Structures; Recend Developments in Organisational Structure; Components of Organisational Structure; The Business Environment.
- Motivation: Motivation and Rewards; Early Views of Motivation; Mc Gregor's Theory X and Theory Y; Need Theory; Summary of other Relevant Theories; Hospitality Experiential Activity.
- Leadership in Hospitality Organisations: Overview and Critical Evaluation of Leadership Theories; Assessment of Leadership Styles and their Impact on Motivation; UNIT 7, Hospitality Teamwork: Teams and Groups; Group Conflict; Team Development; Team Building; Managers and Teamwork; Belbin's Team Types.
- Quality Management in Hospitality: Total Quality Management; Approaches to TQM; Quality as a Competitive Strategy; Quality in the Hospitality Industry; Quality Teamwork.
- Conflict in the Workplace: Defining Conflict; Categories of Conflict; Causes of Conflict; Consequences of Conflict; Managing Conflict; Assessment of Conflict Style.
- Case study addressing components of the above units.
How to Apply/Enrol
Completed application forms should be returned to the School of Hospitality Management & Tourism. As the number of places is limited, candidates may be short-listed on the basis of information supplied on the application form. Candidates will be notified of the outcome or of any short-listing procedures.
Under 23 years of age
(a) Irish Leaving Certificate in five subjects. Results must include:
- At least OD3 in Irish OR English
- At least OD3 in Mathematics
- At least Grade OD3 in one of French OR German
(b) an equivalent qualification
Over 23 years of age
Candidates will be considered on a base by case basis.
Examinations / Assessments
One assessment & One Exam
The examinations will be considered for exemption from the equivalent subject on the Higher Certificate in Hospitality Services Management programme (Programme Code DT451) and/or on the BA in Hospitality Management programme (Programme Code: DT460).
On completion of this module the learner will be able to:
- Explain the management process as applied to a variety of functions in a hospitality organisation.
- Describe and apply management theories from Scientific to TQM.
- Discuss the functions of management as applied to the hospitality industry.
- Explain the influence of the external environment on the hospitality industry.
- Employ tools and techniques of quality management and summarise the role of quality in effective hospitality management practices.
- Recognise the relationship between management and other subject areas.
- Identify and address personal learning needs and skills relevant to the module.
This module will enhance your career opportunities in the Hospitality and Tourism Industry