Engineering (General Entry) DT097
Programme code: DT097
Qualification awarded: Progression only (see below)
Duration of programme: 1 year
Type of programme:
Number of places: 30 approx
Location: DIT Bolton Street
What is Engineering (General Entry)?
This 1-year programme provides a general access route to engineering programmes for those who have not decided which engineering discipline they would like to study.
On successful completion of the programme, students will have the mathematical and scientific basis to successfully enter the second year of seven different Level 7 discipline-specific programmes. In addition, in a limited number of cases, some students with proven ability may be permitted to progress to the first year of the Level 8 Bachelor of Engineering honours degree programme at DIT.
This course will suit students who have an interest in technology and in solving problems in the engineering world.
Students are assessed by a combination of examinations at the end of each semester and continuous assessment projects.
Level 7 - Bachelor of Engineering Technology BEngTech in the chosen level 7 degree.
Level 8 - Bachelor of Engineering BE Honours in the chosen level 8 degree.
Students who pass DT097 have a choice of entering 2nd year of the following Level 7 Bachelor of Engineering Technology (BEngTech) degrees in DIT:
- DT002 – Engineering Systems Maintenance
- DT003 – Automation Engineering
- DT004 - Civil Engineering
- DT005 - Building Services Engineering
- DT006 - Mechanical Engineering
- DT007 - Automotive Management & Technology
- DT008 - Electronic & Communications Engineering
- DT009 - Electrical & Control Engineering
- DT010 - Electrical Services Engineering
Students who pass DT097 with a high average mark and a high mark in mathematics may enter year 1 of the following Level 8 Bachelor of Engineering (BE) honours degrees in DIT:
- DT081 – Computer & Communications Engineering
- DT021 - Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- DT025 - Common First Year Level 8 into any BE programmes
Learning Outcomes: What will I study on this programme?
You will study a combination of maths, science, engineering design, drawing and you will also be given a general introduction to the engineering profession. There is a strong emphasis on group projects within the programme.
What other options do I have after completion?
After successfully completing first year, students are eligible for transfer into year 2 of one of our Level 7 (BEngTech) programmes. Those who achieve a high average mark in their examinations and a high mark in mathematics are also eligible for entry into year 1 of one of our BE Level 8 programmes. See below.
- Engineering Maths 1
- Sound, light & Electricity
- Mechanics and Engineering Materials 1
- Design Projects
- Engineering Maths 2
- Energy and Thermal Properties of Materials
- Mechanics and Engineering Materials 2
- Introduction to Engineering profession
- Elective 1
- Elective 2
Minimum no of
Minimum Grade in
College of Engineering & Built Environment
School of Civil & Building Services Engineering
Eddie Conlon, Assistant Head of Department
T: (01) 402 4059
Dr. Martin Rogers, Assistant Head of School
T: (01) 402 3837
Caroline O'Dowd, School Administrator
T: 01 402 3711
Anne Cullen, Assistant School Administrator
T: 01 402 4039