Welcome to the School of Food Science and Environmental Health
The School is located at the Dublin Institute of Technology, on Cathal Brugha Street in the centre of Dublin city. These are invigorating and rapidly changing times when scientific and technical knowledge is being recognised as the cornerstone of future development in Ireland and as part of the rapidly advancing frontier of the knowledge economy.
Programmes: The School is amongst the most diverse in Ireland and has a multidisciplinary staff offering a wide range of programme opportunities going from Certificate level to PhD. The BSc in Environmental Health is our flagship professional programme and is the leading programme of its kind in Ireland. We also offer BSc in Food Innovation and PharmaceuticalHealthcare. In recent years our Higher Certificate in Pharmacy Technician Studies has been amongst the most sought after programmes in the Institute at this level.
At Postgraduate level we offer the MSc in Food Safety Management for food safety and regulatory professionals. Our MSc in Environmental Health and Safety is among the most highly regarded in Ireland and attracts a wide range of industry professionals. These programmes can be accessed on a part time or full time basis.
A key strength of the School is its strong research profile in areas such as Environmental Health, Food Technology and Pharmaceutical Technology. The School is one of the largest research centres in the Dublin Institute of Technology. Research groups are in areas such as Nutraceuticals, Food Science, Synthetic Organic and Inorganic Chemistry and Biological Chemistry. We hope that students and visitors will find the School as fulfilling and rewarding as we do.
- Prof Jim McGlothlin’s from the College of Health and Human Sciences presented his research in the area of "Advancements in exposure assessment using video exposure monitoring and control opccupational and environmental hazards" at the KOS theatre. This is part of the ongoing DIT/Purdue collaboration of staff and student exchange in the area of Environmental Health.
- The Career's office of DIT organised a FOOD SECTOR Careers Seminar the 23rd of April in the KOS Theatre. You can access here the presentation from:
- Careers in Nutraceuticals – Laura Hamm, Kerry Ingredients and Flavours
- Careers in Retail Food – John Cunningham, Epicom
- Careers in Food Processing & Supply – Ed Spelman, Country Crest-Ballymore Foods
- Have a look at the new programme videos, with students and lecturers presenting the different School programmes
February 2013 PhD Graduation. From left to right: Dr Jesus Frias, Dr Nissreen Abu-Ghannam, Dr Gaurav Rajauria, Dr Mohammad Billal Hossain, Dr Lubna Ahrmed-Hossain and Dr James Curtin